[Hi-zreceivingarraydiscussions] verticals supports

Phil Duff na4m at suddenlink.net
Sun Dec 21 00:57:06 EST 2014

Lee -

OK - I understand the overlap to which you are referring.

Yes - I am using a grounding rod separate from the vertical mount at each element.

The wire elements are suspended inside 1 inch fiberglass tube with grey PVC bushings around the tubing for additional spacing of the wire from the mount.  The wire element overlaps the mount approx 14-16 inches.

I would think that the wire's small diameter serving as one very small capacitor plate in relation to the 1 1/4 in. angle iron mount's large plate would result in a fairly small capacitance given the wire's air spacing inside the combination of fiberglass tube and PVC bushing forming the dielectric would result in a fairly small capacitance.    But maybe not.

I should get out the MFJ antenna analyzer and try to measure the C with it.

 73 Phil NA4M

On Dec 21, 2014, at 5:20 AM, <contact at hizantennas.com> wrote:

> Phil
> I am referring to how much of your wire is parallel and close to your
> mounting post. This forms a parallel plate capacitor with the vertical
> elements post. The more overlap the greater the capacitance. The mounting
> post will be ground and the element going up will be close and a capacitance
> between the two.
> It sounds like you are using separate ground rods and mounting post. The
> mounting post will still be grounded to RF the same as the ground rod. So
> this must not be too close to the element itself.
>  Here is some pictures I think Dave was trying to send.
> "http://www.hizantennas.com/element_construction.htm"

Phil Duff          na4m[at]suddenlink.net