[Hi-zreceivingarraydiscussions] Weatherprrofing amps

Roger D Johnson n1rj at roadrunner.com
Mon Mar 14 12:30:15 EDT 2011

On 3/14/2011 11:14 AM, David Raymond wrote:
> Greetings. . .
>
> It's great to see Lee and Dick back in business!  Great products, great support, and good prices.  Has anyone come up with a good long term solution for weatherproofing the amplifier units at the antenna elements?  Last December when it was cold and I was installing my 8 circle 160m array, I wrapped the amps in plastic grocery bags and taped them up.  While they've held up surprisingly well, I need to implement a permanent solution which doesn't introduce excessive C between the antenna and ground leads on the amps.  Any ideas?
>
> 73. . .Dave
> W0FLS

Hi Dave...

My antennas came with a length of tubing and cap.  See:

http://www.hizantennas.com/hiz_verticals.htm

The thing I don't like about this arrangement is that the feedline is forced to
make a sharp 180 degree turn when the preamp is inserted into the tube.
With foam dielectric coax this could be a problem over time.

73, Roger