[Hi-zreceivingarraydiscussions] Grounds for 4 square

John Kaufmann john.kaufmann at verizon.net
Tue Dec 13 20:27:49 EST 2016

Paul (K5ESW) and all,

To do my impedance measurements on the verticals, I disconnected the
feedpoint amplifier and connected the antenna and ground leads directly to
the AIM-4170 input port.  At 1.8 MHz, the radiation resistance of a short
vertical is essentially zero, so all the resistance that is measured is
assumed to be ground resistance.

I measured two of the verticals in my 8 circle and got very similar results.
At that point I didn't bother measuring the rest of the verticals because I
assumed the results would also be similar.

W3LPL uses passive (non-amplified) receiving verticals.  In his
multi-transmitter operations, the extremely strong RF from the transmitters
would cause serious blockage or intermods in any active electronics at the
array when another receiver is trying to listen through them.   That's why
he uses the passive approach but it also means his verticals are very
narrowband because they have to be resonated (with inductance).  I'm not
sure what kind of combiner he is using and I don't know exactly how he is
doing his TDR measurements.  However, I am guessing he is checking for
feedline discontinuities or faults that would produce reflections back to
the TDR.  The TDR would help him pinpoint the location of the faults.

With the Hi-Z system, which uses active electronics, I'm not sure what you
could learn about the verticals from a TDR in the shack.

73, John W1FV