[Hi-zreceivingarraydiscussions] Grounding the feedline when Hi-Z is "on"

CaseKE at aol.com CaseKE at aol.com
Thu Jan 30 23:28:25 EST 2014

>From Ken Case K5KC

Finally, after 26 months, I turned on the Hi-Z 8-circle array (160M) this
evening.  My situation is a little different from most:

900 foot run from base to Hi-Z field.
Using Green Heron base and remote box to select direction of Hi-Z.
Running a single RG-6 coax from base to Hi-Z field; no control lines.
Using a deep cycle 12+ volt battery with solar charger at the center of the
 Hi-Z field to power the Green Heron and the Hi-Z which are on all the
time.
All seems to be working well.

Now, the question.  I also have two sets of Beverages.  I use an  antenna
switch to feed one or the other into the K3 as a receiving antenna, used  in
diversity mode.  I'd like to add the Hi-Z 8-Circle coax to the switch so  I
can select the Hi-Z or either of the two Beverages to feed to the K3.   BUT,
the switch grounds every antenna not selected, so if I were to select, say,
 Beverage 1, then both Beverage 2 and the Hi-Z 8-Circle feedline will be
shorted  to ground.  Is this OK or not? I know shorts in the Hi-Z lines to the
amps  are not allowed when the Hi-Z is on, but what about the feedline?

Looking forward to your answer.

73, Ken K5KC