[Hi-zreceivingarraydiscussions] Array (4sq) not working properly

Randy Lake randyn1kwf at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 06:42:29 EDT 2012

Good morning.
I am trying to get an old 4sq setup working finally with not much luck. I
think it may have something to do with my ground or soil type.I can barely
get a 2 ft ground rod in without hitting rock.
I just moved the array to a more level area. Slopes maybe 1-2 ft in the
80ft distance.
I am using 19' elements (old 20m tapered elements). They are mounted to
angle iron driven into the ground with 1 1/4 pvc attached to that then the
element mounted inside the PVC with the element held about 8in above the
angle iron inside the PVC. The ground rod is next to the angle iron.
The relays in the controller all work correctly.
The LED's are all on at each amp.
The delay lines and element feed lines are all factory cut.
The feed line feeding the array is tested as okay.
I am also using a Hi-Z preamp out at the array and a 75-50 ohm on the
feedline in the shack.

Issues:
The noise level does not change much at all compared to the TX antenna.
directivity is minimal, barely noticeable.

I am thinking I may remove the preamp and am considering adding additional
ground rods or radials at each vertical.

Any thoughts or comments ?

Randy N1KWF

--
Randy Lake N1KWF