[Hi-zreceivingarraydiscussions] new system online

Lee K7TJR k7tjr at msn.com
Wed Aug 22 23:20:05 EDT 2012

On Monday Tim and I built a Hi Z Antenna  four square array, with assistance
 last Friday from W8TN  in laying out the vertical locations.  This is the first
 one of these systems in use around these parts.  We were very careful to
 accurately measure the array layout and all of the interconnecting cables.  At
 the end of the day, it was with great anticipation and some apprehension that
 the power switch was turned on for the Hi Z system.  Signals poured forth
 from Tim's K3 on the high end of the AM broadcast band, much to our relief.

Whenever I build a RX antenna, the first tests are always run on the high end
 of the AM band.  The front to back ratio and sensitivity of the Hi Z system
 was amazing.  On just about every AM channel, we could separate several
 stations simply by rotating the switch.  On one frequency, the Hi Z four
 square produced an S9 signal which could not be detected at all by Tim's
 1/4 wave transmit L.  Later that night, Tim worked two EU stations on 160
 that were not detectable on his transmit antenna.  On 80 and 40M, Tim
 could copy signals that could not be copied and in some cases even
 detected on the xmit antennas.  The first day results made a believer out of
 me!  If my hilltop were not so congested, I would install one of these
systems, without hesitation.  Unfortunately, the clear space is just not
available.  Guess I am stuck with short beverages and dual flags on the
 sides of the hill, same as the last few seasons.

NH8S upcoming on Swains Island will have two of these Hi Z four
 square arrays for the low bands.  I expect they will be able to hear well!
   WVDXA has two ops on the Swains expedition: W8TN and W8HC.
  GL in the chase!

73 Charlie N8RR