[Hi-zreceivingarraydiscussions] Obsevations

thornton ash thorntonash at comcast.net
Thu Oct 20 12:34:52 EDT 2011

I installed an 8 element system late last spring and had limited time to use it before it all had to come down for the XYLs gardening season. The testing at that time was inconclusive on 80 & 40 compared to my full size 80M and 40M 4-Squares. This system was built on an 84' diameter.

I put the system back up this September and until late September, again the results were inconclusive. I was not particularly worried as after 20 plus years I am use to the 4-Squares underperforming until later in the fall when the angle lowers. As the fall progresses I am seeing significant improvement in the front-to-back and front-to-side discrimination. Now that we are in mid October I am starting to see improvement in readability on the long haul 80 and 40 DX stations compared to the 4-Squares. So far it is not always the case, for example, it was apparent yesterday with the 3XY1D on 40 and this morning on 80 with the TX7M.

I would be interested in anyone else's observations.

73,

Thorny
W1FQ