[Hi-zreceivingarraydiscussions] help with 3L array

Dan Kovatch w8car at buckeye-express.com
Mon May 2 15:16:45 EDT 2011

Just putting the finishing touches on a complete shack remodel and hooked up
the 3L receive array. I have a problem and need help solving it. I believe
the array worked fine over the winter and this is a new problem.

symptoms: The array shows good SWR and impedance on my MFJ 259 in all
directions except 225 degrees and 345 degrees. I have mine set up with 45
degrees as my position 1 then around the horn to 345. The SWR at 225
degrees(position 4) is 195 ohms x=o and SWR 3.1, 345 degrees (position 6)is
151 ohms , x+0 and 2.4 SWR. SWR in other directions is nominal at 52 ohms. I
am using 75 ohm cable(no transformer even though it is recommended) so don't
know how accurate those numbers are. I did not make note of the SWRs when I
put the array up. Directionality has been hard to check with current condx
but in listening to BC stations I notice a definite drop in overall strength
in the two problem directions.

What I've checked: Made sure all preamps at the verticals appear to be
working (little red lights on), checked continuity of vertical connections,
confirmed that control wires 1-4 are wired and connected both out and in
correct order, checked coax connections and all are secure. I have high
quality connectors and coax to all verticals and in to the shack.

Any suggestions of how to proceed will be appreciated.

73 Dan W8CAR