[Hi-zreceivingarraydiscussions] Idea for weatherproofing amps

Mike Waters mikewate at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 03:14:45 EDT 2011

On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 6:13 PM, David Raymond <daraymond at iowatelecom.net>wrote:

> Even gasketed enclosures are a problem.  Unless they are pressurized (like
> air Heliax), you still have problems with condensation.  Leaving an
> opportunity for some air flow is a better approach than air tight.

I have had good results with small gasketed enclosures, like the one at
http://www.w0btu.com/images/Beverage_control_box_4444.jpg and
http://www.w0btu.com/images/Beverage_box4412.jpg.
I fill all the connectors with silicone dielectric compound, and there are
NO air vents. Works for me.

I don't know how big these preamps are. Regardless, the larger the
enclosure, the more of a chance you have for moist air getting inside.
Reason being, there is a larger internal pressure change with a given
temperature and/or barometric pressure change.

In the past, I have put a little desiccant package inside enclosures sealed
with tape.

73 Mike
www.w0btu.com