[Hi-zreceivingarraydiscussions] Weatherproofing preamps

Dan Kovatch w8car at buckeye-express.com
Sat Jan 22 15:28:36 EST 2011

Dave, Over the years I have found that weatherproofing rather than water
proofing is the goal. Early attempts to seal units against moisture were
given up as you always end up with condensation. What I do now is keep
transformers and preamps out of direct sunlight and with a roof over there
head. This seems to work better than anything else I've tried. The current
shelters for the HIZ preamps are plastic coffee cans cut down to allow
cables in and out. The inverted can is left open and its basic function is
to shed snow, rain and sun. I use decaf of course so the preamps don't get
hyper!

Dan W8CAR