[Hi-zreceivingarraydiscussions] Maximum F/b with 80 ft spacing

Bill Tippett btippett at alum.mit.edu
Mon Sep 20 14:20:15 EDT 2010

Greetings everyone!

I've had a 4SQ operating for about 1 year now.  My major RX problem
here is usually lightning noise to the SW of me (FL to TX), so I chose
the Max F/R setup with 80' spacing and am very happy with it.

I normally have 7-8 Beverages up when all the crops are out of the
fields but wanted a separate RX antenna to use for diversity RX in my
K3.  I normally have the Beverages to Main and the 4SQ to Sub, but I
can also switch Main to my TX Array which does have some directivity
(not as good as a real 4SQ but ~20 dB).  I find the RX 4SQ is not
quite as good as a 1000' Beverage but it still works very well,
especially considering that you get 4 directions.

My system is actually a hybrid of different parts (mostly acquired
used) but I used Lee's antenna preamps, his in-shack preamp and his
design information.  I use a DXE controller with signaling voltages
sent over the coax via the DXE FVC-1.  Like K1UO I have a very long
run (800' of shorted WD-1A) to supply DC to the verticals.  I use a
separate variable power supply to apply ~18V in the shack yielding
~14.5V at the controller.  From the controller the voltage is injected
into the 4 coax lines to the verticals.  I didn't have any problems
with this system all last season and was very pleased with it.

Just recently I had a coyote attack at the base of my verticals.  My
lines were all buried except for the last foot to the preamps.  The
coyotes severely chewed all 4 coaxes so I had to splice all with a
female/female barrel connector, taking care that all were electrically
the same length.  I THEN discovered I had experienced lightning damage
to all 4 preamps.  Apparently a nearby lightning strike had coupled in
via the grounds (not the antenna) and blew out most of the inductors
and semiconductors.  Now I'll remove all connections (ANT, GND and
COAX) during lightning season unless Lee comes up with a better
protection scheme.  I'm a little disappointed about that because I
really hoped the 4SQ would give me a directional RX antenna in the
"off season" when I don't have all my Beverages up over fields in
cultivation.  My solution to the coyote problem was to mount a plastic
bucket at each vertical with a hole for the vertical to exit...so far
I've had no more attacks (also sprinkled some "Dog and Cat Repellent"
purchased from Lowes).  So far so good!

Lee definitely has made both a performance and price contribution with
his systems!  I'd love to try an 8 vertical system if I can figure out
where to put it and muster the energy to clear a 200' circle, but that
won't happen this season.  Finally I'd like to thank Lee for his
fantastic support...both advice and very rapid (and economical) repair
of my 4 blown preamps.

73,  Bill  W4ZV