[Hi-zreceivingarraydiscussions] Hi-Z failure and repair

W4PV w4pv at comcast.net
Thu Nov 11 07:05:48 EST 2010

Hello,

Last week my Hi-Z 4 sq. receiving array would not receive any signals.  I
checked all the various components and found I had power to all except the
preamp (nothing wrong with the preamp other than its installer, me).  The
connectors looked good but after removing the preamp from the signal path
the array still was not functioning.  After consultation with Dick and Lee I
removed antenna connections in the main box and 3 or the 4 fell off in my
hand. I was using the original water resistant connectors with the blue
washer and the connectors had lost a good electrical connection but upon
closer inspection I found they could not stand the pressur from the bend in
the enclosure I was using.  I checked  with my local electrical/cable
supplier and wound up purchasing some F-conn (part Number: DB6U) connectors
and crimper and installed them on my array.  These connectors are water
resistant and have some miunte internal teeth on the crimp end that provide
a more positve grip on the RG6U cable and they are a little smaller than my
original F connectors. Time will tell if this type of F connector will with
stand the slight additional pressure that the original could not. The
antenna is functioning as it was intended and working well, except yesterday
when a nice critter decided to have a snack on my RG6U that caused another
repair job.

I am pleased with the assistance (phone and e-mail) and advice that Dick and
Lee have given me in solving any problem that I have had.   This antenna
went up as specified and out performs my remaining beverages in 9.9 cases
out of 10.  Due to the angle of reveive variable the array will not win
always.  This is why the old addage of having several antenns for a band or
bands is true. You never know what the bands will provide us with from day
to day.

Thank you Dick and Lee for an excellent product.

Patrick, W4PV