[Hi-zreceivingarraydiscussions] 160m 8 circle array

daraymond at iowatelecom.net daraymond at iowatelecom.net
Thu Jan 5 15:57:29 EST 2017

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was seeing numerous, low spurious low level signals in my 160 meter Hi-Z 8 circle array.  The array showed some directivity and did not pick up weak signals.  After consulting with Lee (who was very responsive and helpful) I did some troubleshooting and isolated the problem to one of the element amplifiers.  The receiver went “bonkers” with low level junk as soon as the antenna element was connected to the bad amp.  It appears likely that it was going into oscillation.  I installed a new amp and the array is back working well.  Just wanted to pass this along in case someone else ran into a similar situation.

73. . .Dave, W0FLS, in cold and windy Iowa (current afternoon temp +8F)