[Hi-zreceivingarraydiscussions] Element lengths

contact at hizantennas.com contact at hizantennas.com
Wed Feb 8 15:39:30 EST 2017

Recently some exchange on the 160 reflector I missed for some reason.

Here is a recent interchange.

Hi Lee, couple of questions.  I recently heard some guys with the H-Z
talking about taking them up to 36 ft vertical.  I know we just went through
modifying them to get the capacitance down.  With the taller vertical that
brings the capacitance back up.  Any validity to doing something like this?

Also have friends with the 4-8 Pro and wonder if it gives better performance
ie F/B over more bands ie 160-40?  or 160-80..  I know my 200 ft dia 8
circle's F/B is mainly on 160 and not much on 80.  I think I saw the 8
circle had a little better RDR but I guess maybe on one band only.

73 Mike K4PI

And my reply

Hi Mike,

    I don't really recommend making the verticals longer because it makes
the array more sensitive to Broadcast intermod. Usually the 4-8 Pro,
4-square , and any of the smaller antennas have plenty of signal. The single
band 8 circles are a bit short on gain in some circumstances in early
morning quiet hours. It very interesting your mention of this now. I am
working on a small set of amps to use on each element with the 8A arrays
only that will add 9 dB of gain with lots of IMD handling and gain/phase
accuracy. Noise figure of the array is improved by nearly 9 dB.If this
interests you to get a better noise figure on your array keep in touch and
ping me to see where we are. I have one set ready and going to a test
station tomorrow.

  For your friends with the 4-8 Pro, the way to improve on 40 meter
performance is to take the array down to the ~85 diameter foot dimension and
ask me for some new and improved delay cables for the smaller dimension
only. Scarcely anything is lost on 160 doing this mod. And 40 performance is
nearly the same as 160 and 80.

I should post this to the Hi-Z reflector I suppose. Hmmm

Thanks for the inquiry Mike,

Regards All,

Lee