[Hi-zreceivingarraydiscussions] Grounds for 4 square

Lee STRAHAN k7tjr at msn.com
Sat Dec 17 13:17:34 EST 2016

Gm Dan,
 Well you are correct the conductivity changes. We are at the mercy of trying to find a way to have a go or no go test for the Hi-Z type elements. Most owners only have access to something like an MFJ259 to measure the elements. Those simple impedance bridges do not do well with high impedances like the shortened verticals off resonance. However the resistive component may give a better portion of the conductivity?
For those looking for more data on conductivity here is an N6LF page on that.
"http://www.antennasbyn6lf.com/files/ground_skin_depth_and_wavelength.pdf"
  The conductivity is actually about 2 to 1 difference from 2 to 10 MHz with the higher conductivity at the 10 MHz end
So until we find a better way to measure we may have to improvise.
  The N2PK VNA has a RFIV bridge that does very well with the higher impedances, It would be very interesting to compare the results from two methods.
 Any other suggestions out there?
I can't make any test here right now with 15 inches of snow on the flat.

  Lee  K7TJR

while element to element comparisons might be useful, isn't ground conductivity vastly different at 1.8 Mhz than at 10 Mhz ??
or, am I delusional, again?  ha ha ha
73, w5xz