[Hi-zreceivingarraydiscussions] DIRECTIVITIY 8 CIRCLE

Lee K7TJR k7tjr at msn.com
Sat Nov 30 17:56:07 EST 2013

This will be an interesting thread. The Hi-Z 8A was only designed to work on a single band, but to produce the best SNR currently available on that band. I suspect your observations are what I would expect on other bands. If operating on multiple bands, I would suggest changing over to a 4-8Pro which is a 3 band array and shows reasonable directivity on all three. With of course, slightly less available SNR of received signals than the single band array.
   All that being said, I have heard that the 8A actually hears reasonably well on 80 Meters while not showing much directivity.
 I personally have not seen the need for common mode protection however every install is usually different. If you are seeing 30+ dB of front to back ratio on 160 meters I suspect your ground rods are quite adequate.

What say others?

Lee  K7TJR