[Hi-zreceivingarraydiscussions] checking 4-square performance

Robert Zavrel w7sx at live.com
Tue Sep 18 16:48:26 EDT 2012

Lee/Dick: Post if you think this might help...also you might want to include this simple and inexpensive idea (or something like it) into your next controller(s).

Here's the post:

There have been some posts regarding difficulty in getting four-square antennas to lower noise and provide directivity. I am using the Hi-Z pre-amps with a homebrew selector/phasor. One of the features I included might be added to any commercial controller.

I bring the four antenna feedlines into a box where I can switch each one in or out of service. This allows me to compare received signals (including noise levels) from each individual antenna....then switch all four back in for operation. As an added check, I switch a milliameter in series with each antenna's power lead. For this test it is not necessary to decouple the meter through RFC's, since you're only momentarily checking a static current. I am amazed at how similar the four Hi-Z supplu currents are (within 1%!). This test simultaneously checks the integrity of each coaxial cable/connector run and each pre-amp. Its reassuring when snow is flying at 2 AM you can do a complete system check from your shack.

BTW, I've been using the Hi-Z amps for four years and they have and are performing perfectly.

Bob Zavrel, W7SX