[Hi-zreceivingarraydiscussions] Troubleshooting help needed

Mike, K9UW k9uw at wi-net.com
Sun Oct 7 21:08:44 EDT 2012

Hello, everyone!

I just deployed my 4-8 Pro for the season and am having issues.

On 40 meters, there seems to be a stronger - and equal - RX signal on
all 4 directions (NE, SE, SW, NW) that were assigned to the "original" 4
square system.  On the remaining directions, the signal is uniformly
weaker.  This was noted last year as well, but the difference between
the stronger and weaker directions is muted when compared to last year.
This issue exists only on 40 meters.  Later this evening, the signals
are weak in all 8 directions and the amps can't pull signals up to match
those obtained with the TX antenna.

On 80 and 160 meters, all signals seem weak and there is no apparent
directionality.  This is also true on the broadcast band.  While
installing control lines, I noticed that the connections for control
lines #2 and #3 seemed a bit loose.  I should probably pop the cover off
the box to check things out but I ran out of daylight.  If there is a
connection failure on control lines #2 and/or #3, that would explain the
lack of directionality but not the weak signals.

All amp LED's are lit.  Voltages from antenna to ground vary from a low
of 3.90v to a high of 4.0v.  Most are at 3.97v.  Voltage at the shack
control switch is 13.70

The antenna system is deployed from October to April, and everything but
the cables and antennas are stored indoors for the summer.

Ideas?

73, de Mike, K9UW
Amherst, WI