[Hi-zreceivingarraydiscussions] Advantages of the PLUS-6 Preamps?

Lee K7TJR k7tjr at msn.com
Sat Mar 17 15:52:05 EDT 2012

>I have a Hi-Z 3-element array with the original preamps. I see the newer
>PLUS-6
>preamps are in weatherproof boxes and offer 6 db more gain. I wonder if the
>newer preamps would make any difference in hearing weak signals.

  Hello Paul,
   It is my belief that you would not see any better signal to noise ratio
with the
Plus-6 amps when used on a three element array.  Just more gain.
The combining losses in the three element array are substantially lower
which
 keeps the noise figure of the array a lot better than the more lossy 4 and
8
element controllers.
   The 8 element controllers are significantly improved in SNIF
 (Signal to Noise Improvement Factor) with the exchange of the Plus-6 amps
 whereas the 4-square is improved, but less. I would judge this as a minor
 improvement to the 4-square noticeable only in the quietest times. Likely
no
improvement at all to a three element.
Lee  K7TJR