[Hi-zreceivingarraydiscussions] Preamp Installation in high humidity environments

Bill Tippett btippett at alum.mit.edu
Thu Mar 8 14:57:06 EST 2012

I recently repaired one of my ~30 month old RX 4SQ preamps.  When I folded
the board back I noticed some aquamarine colored corrosion around the
inside insulator area of the connector.  However the cable side of the
connector looked clean.  After thinking about this I believe the following
is happening:

1.  In NC summers we often have high humidity (90-95% RH) and high
temperatures (>90).
2.  At night temperatures cool which probably causes condensation inside
the preamp case.
3.  My preamps are mounted connector side down so condensation collects
around the connector causing corrosion.

My preamp and cable entry is covered by an inverted plastic bucket to
prevent critters from chewing.  The problem with this is that the cover
also prevents the sun from warming the black preamp case which would
otherwise help dissipate the moisture.

I'm going to try mounting my preamps so that a metal side corner faces
down.  Hopefully this will allow condensation to weep out around the metal
cover instead of collecting around the connector.  For those of you in
similar environments, you might want to consider this.  I don't know if it
will work but it surely cannot hurt!

73 & GL!

Bill  W4ZV