[Hi-zreceivingarraydiscussions] Obsevations

David Raymond daraymond at iowatelecom.net
Thu Oct 20 13:48:00 EDT 2011

I have the 160m Hi-Z 8 circle receiving array here along with full size
transmit four squares for 80m and 160m.  I live in a very low noise location
with almost no manmade noise.  Today, for example, with the 160m four square
pointing JA, the S meter on the FT1000MP is not even lit with the 250hz
filter and noise blanker off.  My biggest source of noise during the day is
distant electric fences.  At night the fence noise is overcome by
atmospheric noise.

I have found that high performance, low noise antennas with very good RDF
don't always make a significant improvement in very low noise environments.
I've had single Beverages (limited to about 190m in length), end-fire phased
Bevs, and now the 8 circle array.  Comparative receive performance
(ultimately s/n ratio) between the 8 circle and the TX antenna varies from
signal to signal, day to day, high angle vs. low angle, etc.  I have found
that the 8 circle will beat the TX antenna about 20%-25% of the time.  The
rest of the time they are on par with each other.  At our contest station,
N0NI which is about 25 miles away, the general noise floor is somewhat
higher with manmade noise being a factor.  We have a variety of receive
antennas there including wide-spaced phased Bevs on EU, JA, plus some single
wire and two-wire Bevs in other directions along with a Hi-Z four square.
The 8 circle will hold it's own with the wide spaced phased Bevs (RDF of
about 13 db) which is pretty remarkable.  The 8 circle consistently "out
hears" the wide spaced 4 square TX array and a second TX four square by
several db s/n (enough to be very noticeable).  Putting the 8 cir in
diversity with the wide spaced phased Bevs (they "hear" rather differently)
makes for tremendous RX capability. . .enough that sometimes we think the
four squares aren't working (why isn't that guy hearing us?).

Lee and Dick would be better able to comment on testing the 8 circle array
(those guys are extremely competent and helpful).  With two 8 circle 160m
arrays to have experience with, I would say you should see at least 30 db
f/b on your 8 circle array (we see about 34 db f/b on our two arrays).  If
you're seeing that (or more), it's working.  Where the 8 circle array really
shines in my own circumstances is those four directions (N, E, S, & W) where
it can be aimed which are in between the four directions of the four square
TX arrays (NE, SE, SW, & NW).  In those directions it will beat the TX four
square every time.  This has been evident the past week listening to H40KJ
(listening due west from Iowa).  YMMV.

73. . .Dave
W0FLS